The Gardens of Versailles

The Gardens of Versailles
From my 2008 Versailles Collection

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Can You Say Fruit-Cake?


Fruit-Cake Fashion is a term that I invented for fashion that has neither taste nor beauty.


In such desperation to be seen, I often catch women drowning within layers of ruffles, sequins and bows until they ironically get lost among the chaos. Don't get me wrong--I DO love chaos....and there is certainly no one more passionate about embellishment than I am, HOWEVER....fashion is a calculated art...not a blended concoction of scrap fabric and fishing tackle.

Why not control the chaos? Why not take handfuls of sequins, crystals and beads and strategically mold them around the unique and beautiful curves of a woman's figure, in a way that is not only flattering to her shape but tasteful and elegant as well?

Sometimes I find myself looking at fruit-cake gowns and asking myself if there was any thought put into them all--are today's gowns made for women or circus animals?


Here are a few examples of Fruit Vs. No Fruit


Fruit-Cake--no rhyme or reason to the fluff.





No Fruit Here--these gowns are crazy and unusual....but still wildly elegant and tasteful.










No comments: